Monday 29 June 2015

Creating Space in a Small Bedroom without a SpaceX rocket!


Renovation costs in Auckland are rising and so are property prices so we need to be creative as we move into smaller spaces to accommodate our stuff.  Our bedrooms are often last on the list as they are the room seen least, but as the room we spend a great deal of time in, we really need to think about this space.  

My bedroom is my haven.  It is not particularly large but every inch is used to its best advantage.  When I was renovating I made sure I bought relaxing big space ideas into my little sanctuary.






Remove the Excess - Use a Storage Box 

The more you have in your small space the more cramped it is going to feel.  I made a tough decision to sell many items and the rest I put in a storage box or removed into Self Storage.  This instantly created an illusion of space and calm in my room.  








Choose the right furniture and storage



I was lucky enough to have the option to build my wardrobes in with drawers to negate the need for a dresser or amoire.  This was one less challenge to deal with.  However, what I found was space was created by choosing furniture that was slim but high and rectangular not curved.  Nightstands with space underneath also greatly increased the illusion of space.  Perhaps the biggest space was created though with a bed that had storage underneath.  Storage baskets are a godsend for small spaces.





Make your bed the focal point

In a small bedroom your bed will more than likely be the focal point.  Size your other furniture and decor to fit the size of your bed so your room is well proportioned.  A large mirror can also add an illusion of extra space and bring a romantic feel to the bedroom.





Make room for a reading chair


Not only does a reading chair and lamp make your room so much more relaxing, but it can be multifunctional in getting more use out of your small bedroom and for throwing the odd piece of clothing on when you just want to crawl into bed for the night!




Choose your colours and artwork wisely

I used light muted colours in my small space and bought the darker and brighter colours in as accents.  Not only did this give the illusion of a larger space but it utilised the natural light to its best advantage.  Artwork will have the same effect, so plan carefully to ensure your haven stays as just that - your haven.  






No comments:

Post a Comment